Ride? Hell ya I can ride, I was riding when I fell off!

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Trail Ride #1

When plotting how I would entertain you with my dating adventures, I decided I needed a name for them.  During a night of comical text messages with my friends, Mr. and Mrs. Potter, the decision was made to call them my trail rides.  I came to the conclusion this would be the perfect name for two reasons:  to signify the path I am traveling and how lame my journey has been...as so many trail rides can be!  So, as Chris said, "saddle up and come ride the western trail with me."

Trail Ride #1 (TR1)
After 8 months, I went to a neighbors with my dad to drag calves.  I got to see and catch up with a lot of old friends from when I used to run with Dad on a daily basis.  Couldn't have asked for a better day, other than the 109 degree weather, the lack of 5 hands who didn't show up and the boss having a heat stroke mid-day.  One thing was missing and it was the usual company of TR1, who normally day-works this time of year.  When the day was over the boss gave the usual good-bye's, (he was upright again by this point) but pulled me aside.  Said it was great to have me back in the country and I should look up TR1 to catch up.  So, I jotted down his number on the back of my hand.  Mind you, at this point I am still living with my parents and my three children-privacy is a foreign language.  But the next day, the perfect opportunity arrived.  I was on the back side of a pasture clipping fence for my dad.  Civilization was beyond close.  So, I whipped out my phone (grand technology) and dialed away.  To my horror, he answers after the first ring.  Pretty sure I sucked all the air out of the atmosphere at this moment.  We talk and have a great conversation.  Many long conversations follow in the weeks to come.  Now comes the demise of TR1...

TR1 said he would call around 1pm on a Friday.  I wait and nothing.  I tried to call and text but no reply.  About 5 o'clock I jump on facebook and he's online.  So, I send him an instant message that says "hey".  Now comes the twist and the part that, to this day, I still shake my head at...

His reply: "in case you haven't notice, I don't want to talk to you"
Me: "wth?"
TR1: "why don't you go ask 'Ren' (remember this is victim #1)
Me: "what? wth does Ren have to do with this"

The rest of the messages are a little foggy to me because I was lost and trying to wrap my brain around what he had just said.  There was a phone call and a lot of cussing and questions and his justification for his actions with nothing ever getting accomplished.  But, here is what will put some of the pieces together for you...  Back in the summer of 2003, when I moved home to work with my dad after graduating from OSU, I started dating Ren.  About a week later, TR1 called me and asked to take me out on a date.  My reply to TR1 was that I was already seeing someone.  My damn morals!  During our conversations, present day, TR1 had mentioned the fact that he couldn't believe I had picked Ren.  I think his comment at the time was "really?... Ren, really? 

So, after 8 years, TR1 got his revenge and dumped me after I turned him down back in 2003.  Check mark one for the lame trail!

On a footnote, after some facebook deleting drama, TR1 and I are still friends.  One thing a cowgirl knows- there is no reason to destroy a 10+ year friendship over a mole hill!  Now he just has horse envy (hope he's not plotting his revenge for Bill).


Bill - the horse TR1 wants, but will never have

2 comments:

rockinta-Annette said...

OMG! I think you started dating "Ren" after you were at a draggin' we had in the pasture!!! Tom was still working for Pete, it was the first time I met you I think, the Hoy bunch was there. Please don't quit coming to our draggin's:)

Kelly Stephens Powell said...

Honey- both 'Ren' and 'TR1' were disasters from your outfit! LOL But nothing will keep me from a draggin'!!!